Thursday, April 13, 2006

VISITING A DENTIST, UGH!

I HATE DENTISTS! Well I don’t really hate the people who practice dentistry, just what happens every time I visit one.

I got my first toothbrush when I was about 5 years old. It was given to me by a Fuller Brush salesman. Some of you probably never heard of those guys, except maybe in a joke. This little brush was yellow and had black bristles. If I still had it today I could sell it on e-bay. I used baking soda to brush my teeth, we never had any toothpaste. You have to remember this was in the country in 1951, things were different then.

I tried to take care of my teeth most of my life but I never had much luck. Don’t wait till you are grown and try to get them all fixed then because it doesn’t work that way. I have had just about every procedure but caps done to me at one time or the other. Some of my worst experiences were a root canal, a dry socket, and a partial that was done by an old man that called himself a dentist.

I thought all these were as bad as it got till yesterday! I went in to have one little front tooth pulled at 10:00 am. I got home at 3:00 pm. The dentist said it would take no more than 15 min. to pull the tooth. That was the first dentist! After almost 2 hours he gave up and sent me to an oral surgeon. His assistant said it would take about a minute, thirty min later it was finally out. My whole jaw is so sore that I can barley stand it. It feels like the surgeon sowed my lip to my front gum line!

If I ever get another toothache I am going to go to a bar, get drunk and call the biggest guy in there a sob. .Then I will just stick my face out real far and let him do his work. It sure as heck won’t hurt any more, and probably be a lot cheaper too. The one good experience I had was when I was about 7 or 8. I was one of the first peopl in West Virginia to be put to sleep for a dental procedure. I still have a little card proclaming me as a pioneer something or other.

My upper teeth are now like the stars. They come out at night! Even if you take care of your teeth now, do it better! They are the only ones you will ever have. I know that I have brought most of this on myself because of my like of attention to my teeth. But I still don’t like going to the dentist even if it’s just to get my teeth, (what’s left of them) cleaned. Later.

2 comments:

Maisyday said...

Every time I think about what you went through yesterday, I just cringe! EEK!

MaMa Norma said...

After watching what happened to you yesterday, I don't want to see a dentist again but guess eventually I will have to!