Friday, April 07, 2006

TRUE SHADOWS AND THE FUTURE

I want you to take a second and look at the picture of me and my grandson Isaac. We both have true shadows. What the heck is a true shadow you ask? I like to think of it as one that if you could somehow freeze the shadow and then lay down upon it, it would be the exact same size as your body. The sun has to be just right to give you a true shadow, believe it or not.

The length of the shadows of each of us represents how long a past each of us has had. The older you are the longer your true shadow. As there is no shadow in front of us this would be our futures, nothing there to tell us if we will have a long future or a short one. This is true from the day we are born.

I would expect Isaacs’s future to be a lot longer and much more exciting than my past has been. Although I wouldn’t change very much even if I could (once written etc.).

I can just imagine what he can look forward to when he becomes my age in 2056. Hopefully no more wars, no internal combustion engines in automobiles, solar power used in ways we can hardly think of today. Maybe the expanded use of nuclear energy in safe ways.

His future could also hold the use of a nuclear device in this country. Or some type of health pandemic that could cause numerous deaths. These are things that we try to put out of mind but they are always there.

He also could become some one famous for some new discovery that would benefit all mankind. Some would add that he could become President, but I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. I have used Isaac as my model but the same is true for all my grandchildren. I just want a world where they all have an equal chance to become whatever theit future holds.

As for my self I am making a list of things I would like to do or accomplish before my shadow disappears. I am not going to list them here except for one. I want to be famous for something someday, and this is in the bag. If I do ten things a year on my list I will be famous because I will have to live to be 155 years old!

Lets all hope for a bright future for all and try to do our little bit to ensure the same. Here is hoping that you all end up with a long true shadow and a future filled with joy and laughter.

1 comment:

Mama Luvins said...

Dad, that's an awesome post. I really like your symbolism, and the hopeful tone. Well said!