Wednesday, May 17, 2006

BIRD FRIENDS

God must have told the birds that my yard was a safe place to raise their young.

I now have four birds nesting on my little piece of land. (50x 200 lot).

The first one made her nest between the folds in my grill cover.

The second was in a little tree that my daughter Cindy planted about 15 years ago.

Number three is on top of my back porch light. This seems to be a popular place for Robins. They scare the heck out of you when you go out the back door sometimes when they take off. They don’t go far, just to the fence, and they set there and screech at you for daring to come out the door.

The fourth one is on the bend of the gutter downspout on the back of my workshop.

I believe that three of the nest is Robins and one is a small sparrow.

While I am on the subject of birds, while I was sitting on my front porch (one of my favorite things to do) just across the street landed the biggest woodpecker I have ever seen. It had a big red top knot on it’s head. It sat on the side of the telephone pole for about 30 seconds and then it was gone. I hope it likes our area and I get to see it again someday.

Driving to work this morning I saw a big bird with what looked like a 3 foot wing span. It was black with white wing tips. I couldn’t tell what kind it was, maybe a vulture.

About a year I got to see a bald eagle sitting on a limb and then take flight. This is quiet a thrill to see in WV. I probably won’t ever see another one in the wild so I consider this sighting a real pleasure. It was down at the Winfield locks.

Another pleasure is sitting on my front porch, (as I mentioned before) and just watching and listening to all the birds in my neighborhood.

All Gods creatures are amazing sometimes but birds have to be rated right up there at the top in my opinion.

Sometimes I wonder if calling someone a birdbrain is really bad. By the way, and the places, they build there nests it would almost be a complement

Have a good day and keep watch for our fine feathered friends.

1 comment:

Maisyday said...

I guess the word got out amongst the birds that you wouldn't think of harming their nests!

Of all the things I miss about my house in St. Albans, the birds are on the top of the list. Just the other day I was looking at the pictures I took of "my babies" last year and is was sad. At my complex now, it seems the birds nest within the dryer vents, constantly terrifying me that I am cooking little baby birds every time I dry my clothes!